Sunday 8 May 2016

Traditional Lamb Roast (by G)

I bought a half leg lamb roast the other day and, being Sunday and the weather forecast to be a bit miserable, I decided to cook it up. Just a sear on all the surfaces then a coating of rosemary and garlic then into the oven for an hour and a half. This did not quite do the job and the lamb came out quite rare so I used a trick from a former housemate and put the slices in the gravy to get it cooked through. Somehow this adds gravy flavour to the meat and meat flavour to the gravy and takes away the bloodiness of the lamb without drying it out.

For sides I served roast potatoes, little sweet potatoes and some roasted shallots and the last of a packet of peas and corn. The potatoes didn't come out too crispy but after being blanched in salted water and fried in the same pan that I'd seared the lamb they had a  pleasing salty meaty crust.


No comments: