Wednesday 8 June 2016

Dukkah-rolled Eggs with Pearl Barley and Beetroot (by Biggs)

Every week our work place emails out a 'Healthy Recipe of the Week' with submissions coming from staff members. I haven't been super engaged with it because it feels a bit corporate forced fun togetherness but eventually my love of food and cooking overcame.

This is the first recipe that really appealed to me but was also a bit different with the added bonus of being submitted by one of my team mates. It seems she pilfered the recipe from Delicious because a quick search on the internet revealed that this is actually designed as a breakfast recipe. It would be all a bit much for me first thing in the morning but for dinner it was excellent.

The recipe called for freekeh but who knows what the hell that is so I just bought some pearl barley. I also used plain pomegranate instead of pomegranate molasses because I knew that, after using a tablespoon, the rest would just sit in our fridge for the next three years. I also couldn't be arsed to make dukkah so I just bought some.

I trashed the kitchen by grating beetroot all over it and spilling pomegranate seeds everywhere but then dinner really came together. It seemed awfully healthy at first but was nice and earthy and satisfying in the end.

No comments: