Saturday 9 July 2016

Kim Chi Chicken Wings plus Grains (by G)

Just about as soon as I got paid this week I headed straight to the Japanese/Korean store down the road from work to stock up on some essentials - including 5 Grain rice (which ended up containing 10 grains, most of which were not rice) and a tub of kimchi. Also some Korean hot sauce in a squeeze bottle.

This recipe called for me to squeeze the juice out of some kimchi and marinate chicken wings in it before dusting with potato starch and deep frying. I milked the kimchi to the best of my ability but not much liquid came out so I enhanced the marinade with some hot sauce and pickle liquid (still don't know what that stuff is supposed to be for, but it's great).

Closer to cooking time I decided to skip the dusting in potato starch step and give the wings a blast in the oven before deep-frying them nude. I haven't had much success with deep-frying in a while and figured there was less chance of the wings sticking and getting oily if I left off the coating.

That's about it, except that the wings were served with boiled grains mixed with the milked kimchi and some more hot sauce for flavour. The grains were an entertaining change and the wings tasted faintly of brown, which is one of my favourite flavours.

No comments: