Sunday 17 April 2016

Bog Chicken (by G)

I came across this delightfully named meal in a book of food writing.

There's surprisingly little to it, no fried onions - or indeed any vegetables. First I split a number 9 chicken in half then poached it in water with a bay leaf, clove of garlic and some celery tops. Then stripped the meat off one half of the chicken and boiled some rice using the chicken poaching liquor.  After that the shredded chicken went into the rice with some chorizo and hot sauce. The recipe called for my favourite hot sauce - I narrowed it down to two: the rooster brand chilli garlic sauce and the savoury Koon Yick Wan Kee sauce. Oh, the recipe also called for liquid smoke (which I don't have at the moment) so I used some 'tastes like bacon' seasoning. Delicious.

Note pickles in top right of plate are home pickled shallots and chilli.

No comments: