Wednesday 23 December 2015

The First Ham of Summer (by G)

The first ham of summer is a wonderful, glorious thing. The first meal using the first ham of summer should be simple and showcase the majesty of the ham. There will be many ham meals in our future, ham will be added to just about every dinner for the next few weeks - so that first meal needs to whet the appetite for what is bound to become a much maligned waste of fridge space.

Being a savvy fellow I decided to have my ham (along with a bunch of other Christmas requirements) delivered by a man direct to my door from the supermarket. No fighting the crowds at the supermarket like a schmuck on Christams-eve-eve for me, no sir!

Of course the jerk-wads at the supermarket delivery place saw if differently, they didn't end up bringing me my ham, so I ended up having to get it myself from the very supermarket chain that did not have any hams in stock (ideally our Christmas ham would not come from the supermarket but such is life). As I was already at the supermarket I decided to get some ham accompaniments. Rather than oven chips or potato gems I decided to get oven bake onion rings, also some Kaiser rolls and slices of gruyere cheese.

With these items, and a couple of eggs and pickled jalapenos already in stock, I whipped up a couple of delicious ham, egg and cheese rolls with a side of (decidedly un-delicious) onion rings.

1 comment:

Biggs said...

Perfect, perfect, perfect dinner - except for the onion rings - they were TERRIBLE!