Friday 8 January 2016

Odd Wings (by G)

In Mexico city last year I went to a burger and wing place. They had tamarind wings on the menu which were, alas, unavailable. I remembered that it was something I wanted to try and decided to have at it.

The unfortunate aspect of this meal is that I had forgotten that I had thrown out a couple of jars of tamarind in the pre-Christmas fridge clean out and had not replaced them. Instead of tamarind wings I had some wings coated in an odd combination of flavours that I threw together at the last minute. The technique for coating the wings was pretty interesting. Marinade them for an hour in a mix of salt, sugar, pepper, oyster sauce and sesame oil before dusting them in tapioca flour (I used potato starch) before frying them and coating them in a sauce. My tamarindless sauce consisted of sugar, soy sauce, Frank's hot sauce (the remainder of the bottle), sriracha, some stinky soybean/chilli paste and rice wine vinegar (for sourness). The result was not unpalatable and I managed to eat an enormous quantity of these wings with a side salad of cabbage, carrot and coriander.

No comments: