Saturday 19 September 2015

Carpetbagger Steak (by G)

It came to my attention recently that there is such a thing as carpetbagger steak, and it is a traditional Australian recipe. The internet disagrees - apparenty it may have originated in America but I'm claiming it.

Basically it is a steak stuffed with oysters and wrapped in bacon. I used 6 oysters (being all that I could afford) mixed with butter, parsley and garlic and stuffed it into an eye fillet of beef then fried the surface and oven roasted it for a bit with a bacon wrapper. Unfortunatley the bacon was too short to wrap all the way around so the effect was lost a bit.

Naturally when I carved the fillet into steaks it was very rare in the middle so I resorted to the old home cook trick of frying the surfaces.

Colonial Australians probably would have topped the steak with osteria caviar and truffles with a side of seared foie gras but I blew the budget on the other ingredients so instead I cooked up some multi coloured carrots, baby potatoes and brocollini and mixed through some pine nuts and bacon - as you do. There was also some of the flavoured butter in an oyster shell on the side.


1 comment:

Biggs said...

Oh man, deliciousness. I'm glad I was aware the steak was going to be stuffed with oysters or I would have questioned the quality of said steak. Good one!