Friday 4 September 2015

Dumplings (by Biggs)

I headed to Fi and Dan's tonight for dinner but was warned in advance that, if I wanted to eat, I would be put to work on a dumpling production line. They've had a work colleague visiting from China for the past month or two who had taught them the fine art.

Fi and Dan have a tendency to get a little monomaniacal when they discover a new food or recipe so have dedicated much of their time of late perfecting these dumplings. Fi's strength is making the dough and rolling out the skins where as Dan has the wrapping and stuffing skills.

Knowing we'd be at it for a while I came armed with some Burlington BBQ char su pork and a bunch of noodles and veges as a lettuce cup starter. A lovely little number complimented by some quick pickled cabbage Fi whipped up. Yep. This is why I love Fi. Because she's the sort of girl that keeps a jar of pickling liquid ready to go for any pickling related emergencies.

The dumplings were stuffed with a pork mince flavoured with soy, mushrooms, chives and I'm sure many other things. Once wrapped they were popped in a steamer and lovingly overcooked while we drank, chatted and listened to music.

A lovely night. Being part of the production line was incredibly meditativly therapeutic and the resulting dumplings were the best I've ever had.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

what a delightful couple