Wednesday 16 September 2015

Vegetarian Scotched Eggs (by Biggs)

Okay, so, this wasn't perfect but I do think I've had a good run of at least trying with dinner. Anyway, it's Vegetarian Wednesday so I started with an significantly unfortunate handicap.

A while back I had this genius idea of vegetarian scotched eggs where you replace the pork with falafel. A genius idea perhaps but where it went wrong was with the "replace the pork" part. Bad idea!

I was hoping to just buy a falafel mix but couldn't find any so had to draw on my kebab shop wench roots and put it together myself. I went with chick peas, onion, lots of herbs and spices, a touch of egg white and flour. I would have added tahini if we had any which I'm sure would have helped with the resulting dryness situation.

The vegetable combination was one G has enjoyed before but, once again, the difference being the pig. Last time the veges were cooked in pork fat and were delicious. This time, not cooked in pork fat and they were fine.

I knew I would probably be disheartened by eating vegetarian scotched eggs regardless of the genius of the idea so I cooked up some halloumi as well. That was, and is always, a good decision.

No comments: