Tuesday 24 November 2015

Yucatecan Tortillas (by Biggs)

G brought me a pretty cool present back from overseas - a cookbook entitled 'Yucatecan Cuisine from Hacienda Teya' which I decided to use immediately. I don't know if G ate at Hacienda Teya but, if he did, based on the deliciousness of tonight's dinner, he would have had a great time. In saying that, I did replace and disregard a lot of ingredients in the recipe.

1. I replaced handmade corn tortillas with shop bought flour tortillas
2. I replaced annatto paste with chili flakes, oregano, cumin and pepper. I should probably in fact say I didn't use annatto paste. What I used instead could be in no way be considered a replacement. Annatto from what I can tell is red. Just....red.....and becomes a paste when mixed with oregano, cumin, black pepper, peppercorns, garlic, cloves and vinegar.
3. I replaced sour oranges with grapefruit
4. I forgot lettuce leaves even though G offered me his second successful homegrown lettuce.

Dinner was great - I totally overcooked the chicken but it didn't seem to matter....still super tasty. I was particularly proud of my pickled red onions.

No comments: