Sunday 19 July 2015

Bigos (by G)

Over time I've realised there are only about 5 places Biggs and I find inspiration for dinner - one of which is Food Lover's Guide. This recipe comes from the Polish episode and it sounded like a dish specifically designed for Biggs.

Apparently, in Poland, they make a stew from the end pieces of cure meats - leftovers after a days hunting. There are no left over cured meats in our house... and I mean EVER... so I went out and bought some. Kransky and Cabanosi to go with the mini chorizo I already had.

The stew is not too demanding, there are just a few steps to follow. Fry some bacon, onion, the meat and some sauerkraut that has been simmered in plain water for about 20 minutes. You're supposed to add All Spice but I couldn't find any in our spice drawer so I added Chinese 5 spice and garam marsala figuring that would cover most if not All Spice. You then add a roux made from tomato paste, flour and stock... and then add some cabbage that has been wilted with garlic and porcini mushrooms. After that you just let it cook.

I served my Bigos with some light rye bread rolls and mashed potato mixed with some boccancini I had left over.

I was pretty pleased with the flavours - it would have been better it the weather was as cold as it had been for the two days prior, but I don't control the weather... yet.

1 comment:

Biggs said...

The thing I like most about this was that it was called Bigos. And, the meats were quite good. I couldn't work out what the base of the stew was....cabbage hey? Sneaky.