Wednesday 22 July 2015

Nut Loaf (by Biggs)

The last nut loaf post really seemed to tickle our readership's fancy so I thought I'd try another one on for size. But, this one, I made myself. I would usually reference the recipe but I omitted so much crap it barely resembled the original in the end. There was no way I was going to add dried fruit, I don't know what the fuck an onion squash is and I couldn't bring myself to buy quinoa (will you please think of the poor Peruvians and Bolivians?!).

The nut loaf was mainly pumpkin, onion, garlic, celery, mushroom, chili, paprika and oregano. Then I added some lemon zest, butter, eggs, breadcrumbs and, most importantly, about two million dollars worth of mixed nuts. I don't know if this is how a nut loaf is usually made but it's how I made it.

Our freezer is full of half-bags of peas, corn, and peas and corn so I used some of them up. And also served it up with some roasted capsicum tomato sauce stuff.

When I tried to get the nut loaf out of the tin the bottom part got stuck and the whole thing fell in half. I would have pieced it back together but then I accidentally dropped the bottom half into a sink full of washing up water. EPIC FAIL! Fortunately, there was enough left unscathed to enjoy. And, enjoy it we did.

1 comment:

G said...

I don't recall having had nut loaf before. My only memory of it is reading a spy thriller where the protagonist goes into and anarchist café - they serve him a piece of complimentary nut loaf that he has no intention of eating. Later he finds, to his annoyance, he has eaten it while his mind was on other things.

I knew I was eating nut loaf and it was not too bad - the sauce was the highlight.