Sunday 5 July 2015

Sizzler (by G)

When Biggs and I discovered that Sizzler in Australia will soon be a thing of the past we were spurred into urgent action (by our standards at least). We decided that we had to eat at Sizzler (a staple high-end restaurant in our youth) one last time... and a few days later that is just what we did.

Anita, Biggs' oldest and closest Sizzler buddy, was also on hand for this momentous even.

My immediate impression on getting to Sizzler is that they would be silly to close the franchise as there was a long queue of people waiting to get in. So long in-fact that one of the servers brought around samples of the 'famous cheese bread' to ward off rioting. To me the other people in line appeared to be Sizzler regulars rather than those coming for an ironic childhood throwback experience.

Once we eventually got to order all three of us went for an a la carte option. Anita went for a selection of sliders, I chose the surf-and-turf and Biggs decided on the crumbed chicken with slice of ham and cheese on top. I can only speak for myself when I say that me steak and lobster was encouragingly average. My impression is that the lobster had been microwaved a bit too long causing it to become tough and stringy. In the end it is the quality and variety of the salad bar that keeps drawing people back so it would be remiss to judge Sizzler on their menu items.

Biggs observed that everyone has their go-to salad bar items. Hers, it seems, is a Frankenstein salad made from seafood extender and various other things. Anita likes to make nachos with potato skins in place of corn chips. I like to eat my body weight in bacon bits (which now appear to real bacon rather than the crunch cat-food like nuggets they used to be).

Sizzler also has soup. There was a government campaign when I was younger with the slogan, "Winners don't eat soup", I guess that has stuck with me because I'm not much of a soup fan. Anita observed that Sizzler sometimes has an interesting soup variety that she will try (not that she's a loser). On this occasion there was no interesting soups.

I only have dessert once every 4 or 5 years - you have to have dessert when you are at Sizzler, it's the law. The key is to wait until you have filled yourself so full that you have piled food from the bottom of your stomach to the back of your throat - then it's time to cram something sweet into the limited remaining space. On this occasion I went with the traditional chocolate moose, ice cream and sprinkles. That's enough dessert for me for the next half decade.

I could probably write 50,000 words on the joys and disappointments of Sizzler, but I think I will leave it at that.... all I can say is if you have not experienced it for yourself, get in now before it's too late.









No comments: