Tuesday 7 July 2015

Fried Pork Belly 'Ribs' (by G)

I have excellent memories of the deep fried pork ribs I had in Bangkok a couple of years ago and tried to replicate them tonight. Not even close.

I substituted whatever pork rib meat they used with some pork belly that I cubed and then blanched for 10 minutes in boiling water. Then I coated the meat with an egg/cornflour mix and crumbed them in a polenta/five spice powder/onion powder mix. They were not crumbed enough first time round so I re-crumbed them... big mistake. After frying the ribs I found that the double layer of polenta had created an impenetrable concretion on the outside of the pork which made them very difficult to eat.

The noodles on the side were okay - some vegetable flavoured ones I found in the pantry.

No comments: