Tuesday 14 July 2015

Insect Tortillas (by Biggs)

We all know that eating insects is the way of the future....if we want a future....so I thought I'd check it out. I ordered some crickets with the plan to serve them on tortillas with guacamole and a fresh salsa.
 
When the crickets came I was astounded about three things:
 
1) How much I'd spent on these when I drunkenly ordered them online,
2) How flavourless they were, and
3) How few there were.
 
I'd expected a big bag of them (especially for the price I'd paid for them and particularly given they're insects....how hard can insects be to come across) but was actually just sent a small container. I flavoured them up with some garlic and chili but also padded the tortillas out with some tenderised strip steak thus entirely defeating the whole point in eating insects.
 
But, they were pretty good, added a nice crunch...if you could ignore getting stringy little legs caught between your teeth.

No comments: