Wednesday 12 August 2015

Smokey Chopped Pork (by G)

Pulled pork is about the best thing in the world and with my recently purchased smoke-in-a-bottle I figured I should be able to execute a decent pulled pork recipe (and perhaps rule the world).

I put a huge piece of pork rubbed with a garlic, ginger and cider vinegar mix in the oven at a low temperature then drank a few beers and took a 5 hour nap figuring the pork could take care of itself. When I checked on it again 5 hours later the meat was not as tender as I had hoped - so I cranked up the heat for the next 2 hours.  After 7 hours the meat had become quite tender but not pull-apartable so I chopped it in to little pieces instead. To give the pork some flavour I then mixed in a whole lot of slow sautéed onions and my secret BBQ sauce made from hoisin sauce, oyster sauce, liquid smoke and chilli sauce (well, I guess it's not a secret any more - but I bet you're not going to go to all the effort of mixing those 4 things together to make the world's best BBQ sauce).

Along with the pork I served a mixed chilli and cabbage pickle to cut through the fattiness of the meat. Also some slices of white bread (as is traditional in these parts).

1 comment:

Biggs said...

CHOPPED PORK! Best Vegetarian Wednesday ever!