Tuesday 18 August 2015

Tlacoyos? Empanadas? Something like that (by G)

My intention was to make tlacoyos - football shaped filled tortilla like things traditionally made from blue corn. Two drawbacks - I didn't have any blue corn masa and it's trickier than it looks.

I made some dough from regular masa and a filling of re-fried beans, coriander and liquid smoke but when I tried to fill the former with the later my dough started breaking up, so I did the best I could. The final objects turned out to be a bit more empanada shaped than I had anticipated. I fried them regardless then popped them in the oven for a while to cook the dough through.

My ambition was to make this dinner beautiful so I made a couple of sauces - one from roasted red capsicum and red chilli blitzed with some sriracha the other with roasted green capsicum and green chilli blitzed with a green chilli sauce I have. To make the whole thing look a bit more like a meal I served with a side of tomato, red onion and coriander as well as some cubed pork ribs made crispy in the oven and some cottage cheese (in place of queso fresco).

Immediately after plating up I discovered that the meal I had made was not beautiful at all - not the kind of thing you would put on the picture menu of a restaurant. It was tasty enough though. I think I may have over-crisped the pork - the crackling had a slightly odd texture.

1 comment:

Biggs said...

I was well impressed with the effort G had put into a mid-week dinner. It was super delicious except maybe that dough could have been cooked off a touch more. The sauces were absolutely incredible. Good stuff!