Monday 31 August 2015

BBQ, Rocket and Feta Salad with Home-made Bread Rolls (by Biggs)

My last day of leave today so I thought I'd take advantage of having the afternoon free to knead dough and light a fire. Two very satisfying activities I'm sure you'd agree.

I love a BBQ so went right ahead and grilled some high quality meats for dinner. I took some time this afternoon to wander to the fancy butcher down the road and select something special - rump steaks that my friend Fi is convinced are the best in Brisbane (and, trust me, her and her husband have done some serious research in this area) and some chili sausages.

Somehow G reverse psychologised (?) me into baking bread. I can't remember how this unfolded exactly but we were talking about bread, he assumed I was going to try making some, I refused, but later thought....Hell yeah I'm gunna make some bread. I'm gunna make the shit out of some bread.

I didn't exactly make the shit out of some bread but I sure went pretty close. Delightfully light, lovely crust, perfectly cooked. Just a wee bit too much sugar. I'll ease off on feeding the yeast quite so much next time and think these babies will reach perfection.

The salad was an exact replica of the one that was served with my Rockhampton steak a couple of months ago - rocket, carrot, spring onions and feta.  

No comments: