Thursday 6 August 2015

Berkshire Pork and Vegetables (by G)

After discovering the new deli/market down the road I decided to try and shop there as much as possible rather than shop at the supermarkets (though the prices at the supermarket sure are competitive by comparison). The best thing is that they have pork labelled by breed (though I've only seen one breed - Berkshire).

So, I bought some Berkshire pork chops and mushrooms, carrots and potatoes and made a meal of them.

The potatoes were lightly baked, the carrots simply boiled and the mushrooms roasted with a butter that I had flavoured with thyme and garlic (which I also served on the side).

The pork chops turned out to be unusual shapes - I believe they are referred to as the scrag cut in the butcher trade, none-the-less they were pretty tasty once fried. There is an old saying in Berkshire, "Better the scrag cut from the finest beast than the prime cut from a diseased donkey". So true.

1 comment:

Biggs said...

I can't explain why this was good but.....it was good. I thought the pig was my favourite food but it turns out the Berkshire pig is my favourite food.