Sunday 16 August 2015

Hasenpfeffer (by G)

I noticed the other day that the shop down the road sells rabbits so I was looking around for something to make with rabbits. Coincidentally I was watching 'Mind of a Chef' the other day (a separate day), an episode with the delightful Ed Lee, and there was a rabbit recipe. To quote Ed Lee:

'There's a really funny Bugs Bunny cartoon where, I don't know why, but Yosemite Sam is a chef and there's a king that says, "Where's my hasenpfeffer?". And Bugs Bunny happens to come in and, you know, hilarity ensues'.

...so I decided to do that.

It's a bit of a hasenfeffabout to prepare but not too difficult - other than trying to find a definitive recipe. The one I went with called for the rabbit to be marinated for hours in red wine with carrot, onion and aromats (bay leaves, pepper and such), then simmered in the same liquid for another couple of hours.

I did all that - the rabbit was fine. It was tender and tasted of red wine and aromats - not as good as I had imagined.

What was good was the pasta under the rabbit. I was looking to serve the rabbit with spatzle (without going to the trouble of making it) and, not finding any ready made stuff at the supermarket, decided just to cook the pasta that most looked like spatzle. After boiling the pasta I tossed it with some fried onion, bacon, shallot, garlic and some special butter that has a particularly cheesy character.

The result was excellent. Also good was the small amount of almost-burned-to-perfection cabbage underneath. Biggs and I are big into correctly burning things at the moment - I'm going to have another go at the cabbage.

1 comment:

Biggs said...

Seriously this pasta was amazing. Amazing! Unfortunately it very much overshadowed the hasenpfeffer.