Saturday 22 August 2015

Ploughman's Lunch for Dinner (by G)

I love a ploughman's but, not being a ploughman, I rarely get the opportunity to eat it.  I don't know how traditional a bacon hock terrine is but it is one of my specialties so I decided to make it as one element. It's pretty easy - boil a couple of bacon hocks with vegetables and aromats until they are good and tender then chop them up and mix through parsley, capers, mustard (I used dijonaise), a punt-load of butter. Next you're supposed to line a loaf tin with pancetta put the hock mix inside and weigh it down in the fridge, instead I decided to roll it into a sausage shape - which worked out brilliantly.

The only other thing I made on the ploughman's plate was the scotched eggs, using de-cased sausages. Everything else came from a packet - some rustic bread, cheddar cheese, pickled onions and cornichons. The scotched eggs were a bit lacking in flavour, otherwise dinner was fit for a ploughman.

1 comment:

Biggs said...

This was the best thing we've had in quite some time. I am highly impressed with the effort G went to. The terrine was brilliant. G has done better with scotched eggs before though. I hope the tries again.