Tuesday 3 March 2015

Duck Carnitas (by G)

For some time I have been thinking about making tortillas out of ducks but could not find any reference  to them on the internet. Most duck tortilla searches returned recipes for Peking duck pancakes, which is not what I wanted. Then last week I came across a few recipes - not that I used any of them, I just wanted reassurance that it would not be shit.

I fried the skin of a couple of duck breasts then sprinkled the meat side with some salt, pepper, oregano, paprika and coriander then oven roasted them at 160 Deg C for a couple of hours until they were easily shreaded. I shredded them then fried the pieces just before serving.

To go with the duck was a salsa of avocado, red onion, corinader, red and green chilli, lime and salt - as well as some chopped pickled vegetables from a jar (which are ordinarily too tart to eat but which I though would cut through some of the richness of the duck).

Almost the best thing about dinner was the homemade tortillas. They were flour with a touch of corn mesa and were (mostly) wonderfully uniform thanks to the heavy duty tortilla press I bought recently. I'm going to have a lot of fun with that baby.

No comments: