Tuesday 31 March 2015

Braised Beef Cheek with Cheese Quesadillas (by G)

I'm all on board with beef cheeks at the moment, they are about the cheapest form of protein available - all you have to invest is time.

I browned these cheeks and then simmered them for a few hours in a sauce created from onion, garlic, tinned tomato, paprika, cumin, coriander, a little vegetable stock and some dried Peruvian yellow chillies that I had chopped, deseeded and soaked in boiling water. I blended the sauce before serving to break down the chunks of chilli.

I had planned to make tortillas from scratch but it had been a trying week so I just  got a packet of the pre-made ones, bunged some cheese in the middle and browned them off. There was also a salsa of tomato, red onion, cucumber and jalapeno with a sprinkle of salt and a squeeze of lemon.

The sauce was not fantastic, though the chillies did add a nice earthiness. The texture of the cheese in the quesadillas was a little odd, kind of grainy.

1 comment:

Biggs said...

Hmm.....I'm not quite as jazzed by the beef cheeks as G is. There some odd gelatinous texture to them.

But still, better than anything I could do.