Monday 9 March 2015

Brined Ribs (by G)

Biggs and I like a good brined chicken so I was looking for a new recipe for brined chicken, then it occurred to me that you could probably brine any meat. Pork is the best meat so I decided to brine some pork ribs. The brine recipe I got from the internet was a mix of salt, apple cider vinegar and garlic.

After 24 hours absorbing the delicious brine the pork ribs were rubbed with brown sugar, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika and a variety of peppers.

Perhaps the only cooking process better than brining is smoking so I thought I'd try to double down on the flavour. In the bottom of an oven tray I sprinkled some soaked wood shavings (professional smoking wood not just something I found on the ground), put the ribs on a rack over the top and firmly sealed the tray with foil - then it was into the oven for a couple of hours of heat treatment.

The meat turned out very succulent, but not very flavourful. There was not too much smoke created, maybe I had to cook it for longer. Also the dry rub was a bit bland so I basted the ribs in Mexican tomato sauce for a little more kick.

Slices of white bread and packet kale coleslaw served as simple side dishes.

1 comment:

Biggs said...

This was sensational - RIBS! It even felt pretend healthy because there was kale in the sald.