Thursday 29 May 2014

Crumbed Chicken, Mushrooms, Potatoes and Braised Fennel (by G)

Having discovered the joys of brining I've decided to brine at every opportunity. 

I had some chicken marylands and wings in the freezer so I defrosted them yesterday and stuck them in some brine.  This morning I de-brined the chicken and left it in the fridge to dry a little. This afternoon I tempered the chicken to bring it up to room temperature then dusted it in flour, dipped it in an egg wash (egg and vegetable stock - that was my own imagining) then crumbed it in Krummies brand wholemeal bread crumbs mixed with salt, pepper, garlic powder and some dried parsley flakes.

I was trying to use up some of the food I already had at home so I braised some fennel in butter and vegetable stock, blanched some potatoes and fried them in peanut oil. I also cooked some mushrooms (fresh bought) in butter and oil, seasoned with salt and pepper and mixed with chopped garlic, chilli flakes, lemon thyme and dried parsley.

I pulled the trigger a bit early on the potatoes - after they were fried they sat around for a bit before being re-heated in the oven (along with some salt, pepper, chilli flakes and lemon thyme). They turned out a bit buffet-style-roast, but not to worry.

The braised fennel was not great - I blame the fact I didn't use all that much butter and used vegetable stock instead of something more flavourful like chicken stock.

The chicken turned out pretty great (crispy on the outside despite being a bit powdery) and moist (not to mention cooked) on the inside.

1 comment:

Biggs said...

This fried chicken was super good and very flavourful. I don't think I will ever cook fried chicken.....it would be shit if I did it.

I don't think G should cook old unused fennel from the bottom of the fridge anytime again.

I liked the chilli and thyme through the mushrooms....and the butter. The butter was good.