Saturday 10 May 2014

Hoppers (by G)

I've been wanting to make hoppers for a long time - and when I found hopper mix at the store the other day I decided to take the plunge.

The first thing to do was make a good curry to have with them - preferably a Sri Lankan curry.  Though it was a bit of a dick-around (what with making the spice blend and everything) this curry recipe came up trumps. I was a bit worried after it had cooked for about an hour-and-a-half - I tasted it and it was watery and bland. Of course, it just had to reduce in volume.

The hoppers were a bit trickier to cook because we only have shitty electric stove elements so the sides of the pan would not get hot to set the batter. With a bit of swirling and grillering and cursing I got the hang of it, sort-of. They didn't get as crispy as I would have like - they were not a catastrophe though, and that was a real possibility at one stage.



1 comment:

Biggs said...

I thought this curry was great. The meat was tender, tender, tender.

Put it inside a hopper for the win.