Friday 16 May 2014

Vindaloo Chicken with Saffron Rice Pilaf (by G)

This is what I had planned to make the other night when I did hotdogs - kind of.  The rice was not exactly as I had imagined it.

I simply smothered the chicken marylands in jarred vindaloo sauce then cooked it slowly in the oven for about an hour.

The rice was cooked using the absorption method (because I've had such wonderful success with that in the past - noting like crunchy rice) with chicken stock and saffron as the absorbing medium. I fried a brown onion and half a red onion (because I had a half left over), toasted the endosperms of some pistachio drupes, and heated some frozen peas in boiled water. Once the rice was cooked through I mixed everything together and served the chicken and the rice on a plain white plate to better highlight the saffron tinge in the rice.

To my surprise the rice was quite bland, so I heavily seasoned it with salt and black pepper - which fixed it.  All-in-all I was not too dissatisfied with this one.

1 comment:

Biggs said...

I too was not too dissatisfied with this one. It was tasty although I found the drupes quite off putting. I expected crunch and was given none. Not G's fault thought. I blame the drupes.