Saturday 31 May 2014

Escudella (by Biggs)

When looking for dinner inspiration last week I asked G to name a country with the plan to make a meal inspired by the national dish of that country. For personal reasons G chose Andorra (a plot of land between Spain and France) so I found myself making Escudella.

I found the recipe on a lady's blog and it looked like the sort of meal our household enjoys in the Wintertime. Fortunately, or allegedly more like it, it's the Wintertime. I needed to find an afternoon when I would be home with enough time to cook it so G agreed to swap cooking nights with me today.

This stew is amazing because it has EVERYTHING in it - pork sausage meat-balls, chicken, prosciutto, cabbage, potato, rice, pasta, chickpeas and cannellini beans. That's pretty much how it works too dump it all in a pot and cook it for a couple of hours....some things, like the pasta, you put in at a later stage.

The flavour in the stock came from marrow and bacon bones. It was meant to come from marrow and ham bones but my butcher didn't have a ham bone. They weren't sure initially if they had marrow bones but checked out the back and returned with a giant garbage bag to search thorough. Sign of an excellent butcher right there!

Dinner was a winner. Thanks Andorra!

1 comment:

G said...

Andorra is probably one of the most interesting countries on earht - I say probably because I know virtually nothing about it. If this is their idea of soup(escudella is Catalan for soup) then I'm interested.

Biggs did a good job of the cookery. Olive bread is my new favourite kind of bread - I mention it because Biggs served it as a side to the escudella.