Monday 12 May 2014

Cuban-Style Pork Chops with Black Beans (by G)

This dinner came about when I did an internet search for 'Monday Dinner'.

It's basically pork chops marinated in lime zest and juice, orange juice and garlic then sprinkled with cumin, chilli flakes and oregano and fried, then stewed in a mix of white wine and the marinating liquid.

The chops were served on a bed of corn and black beans with red onion, coriander and mint (I also added fried kipfler potatoes to the mix because we had a guest and I didn't want anyone going hungry).

The black beans were a bit of an issue - Biggs said she had some left after her last black bean meal. I didn't check... turns out the beans have disappeared (I believe Biggs has been snacking on them in her sleep).  Fortunately I had a can of feijoada in the pantry which I simply strained the meat and flavour out of.

The only other difficulty I had was that I over-reduced the sauce - it was way too thick to serve so I put the chops in it while they rested.  The recipe wasn't too clear on what to do with the sour cream so I just dolloped it on top - oh, yeah and I crisped up the pork crackle - that wasn't in the recipe just instinct on my part.

1 comment:

Biggs said...

Good instincts G has what with the crackle and the sour cream and buying a can of feijoada without purpose.

This is the best meal we've had all year.