Sunday 25 May 2014

Shimeji Mushroom Risotto (by G)

With all the different things we've cooked since the blog started I couldn't remember if we'd had risotto yet. Possibly - and it is certainly something I could have checked on - but I decided to do one anyway.  I was looking to do this meal to a budget, which I probably managed to do if you consider that I didn't use all the rice or butter - though I did have some parmesan and saffron already, so it probably wasn't to budget after all.

The risotto was pretty standard - fry mushrooms, set aside. Fry shallots, mix in rice to coat in oil, add wine (I didn't have wine so I used sake), then ladle in stock until the rice is cooked then add the mushrooms and parmesan.

For some reason I decided not to cook the rice all the way through but it was pretty close.  I has also intended to have some brined chicken legs on the side, but they didn't cook in time...

 
...so we had them as a snack later.
 

1 comment:

Biggs said...

I can't believe G doesn't vividly remember the rainbow of risottos he served on the 19th June last year. After all, they were very vivid.

This one was a good one....nice and savoury.

The chicken legs were, no kidding, the best I've ever had....in this style.