Friday 23 May 2014

Paprikash (by G)

I wanted to try something new, and beef related - because I had beef available.  After a brief internet search I discovered a recipe for Hungarian Paprikash - it looked pretty delicious.

It's a pretty basic recipe - fry some onions, add paprika and beef, stew in stock and add some capsicum once the meat is stewed. The interesting bit came at the end when you mix some raw flour with a butt load of sour cream and mix it through to thicken the sauce.  The recipe said it was my choice of capsicum colours so I picked red and yellow (and discovered that the yellow ones are more than twice the price of red ones - I did not know that).

Once the stew was stewed I served it on some wholemeal tagliatelle - because the wholemeal was less than half the price of regular stuff (this I also did not know - the things you learn when you actually pay attention to the prices of the things you are buying).

The meat was as tender as a Hungarian poet, though the paprikash as a whole was like a stroganoff with less flavour.  The parsley on top was just to add colour but didn't add much to the meal.

1 comment:

Biggs said...

I knew that about capsicums. It's why I never come home with yellow ones.

I spent all day asking G what was for dinner and he kept saying paprikash. Not useful information.

Now that I know what it is it's very useful information. It was good. I grumbled a bit about the wholemeal pasta but that turned out to be quite good too.