Monday 8 June 2015

Pork Hock (by G)

Biggs and I used to put away a lot of pork knuckle back in the day so when I saw pork hocks at the butcher I knew it would be a winner.

It didn't turn out to be the winner I was hoping for - mainly due to time. I was on a complicated sleeping schedule to watch the Canadian formula one GP and over-napped giving me little time to oven roast the pork hocks.

Never-the-less I coated the hocks in salt (numerous types of salt - black, smoked, Himalayan mountain, regular and the weird smoked style) and oil then oven roasted them for about an hour and a half. They were not at my preferred degree of crispiness on the outside so I bunged them under the grill to crackle up some.

For sides I roasted some potatoes in the fat left over from roasting beef ribs a while ago and cooked some sauerkraut (from a jar) with bacon and onion.  The sauerkraut was the standout of this dish... oh, also the gravy - which was made from simmering pork bones for hours and hours, that was also good.

1 comment:

Biggs said...

G neglected to mention that he used 7 different types of salt in this meal after I cleaned out the pantry and found them all. This resulted in quite a salty dinner. But, a salty dinner is a good dinner. I like the pig addition to the cabbage.