Saturday 3 October 2015

Bacon Ribs (by G)

I thought I should make up for the barbequed chicken wings that never happened last week and smoke some pork ribs on the barbeque. Smoked bacon ribs sounded like a good idea, though I don't know if they are actually a thing.

I took pork spare ribs and cured them for a day in a sugar, salt, bay leaf and juniper berry concoction, slow cooked them in the oven for a couple of hours, then tried to smoke them on the barbeque - spraying them all the while with water steeped with dried red chilli and garlic to keep them moist.

The result was quite bacony - unfortunately the cure imparted an unholy saltiness to the meat that I found hard to swallow and drew out most of the moisture making them quite dry. The smoking didn't really happen either - the wood shavings refused to reach smoking point.

No matter - I prefer not very good ribs over a lot of other things. The side potatoes with coriander, parsley, garlic, spring onions, dijonaise and butter were quite good in my opinion.

1 comment:

Biggs said...

SALTY! But boy, I scarfed these ribs down quick smart.