Friday 30 October 2015

Chorizo Tortillas (by G)

I had a little misfortune on the Mexico City metro the first time I tried to take the train. After successfully getting the train as far as Pantitlan station I just needed to transfer trains and go one more stop to get me to the track to watch the Friday practice sessions for the Mexican formula one gp. It was rush hour and the crush to get on the train was crazy. On my second attempt to get into the train I soon realised I was nowhere near close enough to the door to succeed and was about to be crushed against the side of the train. This seemed undesirable so I put my hand out to push back, instead my hand was doubled back all the way so that the knuckles were pressed against the top of my forearm - the terrible crunching noise it made will haunt me for the next few years. At first I thought the hand might fall off, then I thought - best case scenario - all the bones in my wrist were broken. As it turns out the wrist was just horribly, horribly sprained.

Long story short, when I got back to the city that night I was looking for something I could eat that would not require more than one hand. Helpfully, tortillas are designed for just such a dilemma.

I found a cart that had a ´five for´ deal on mini-tortillas and scarfed down a bunch of the chorizo filled ones. The tortillas were good but probably the best thing was the theatricality of the taco guy. The way he tossed the tortillas on the plancha, the flair with which he snatched up the sausage meat and the panache with which he sprinkled on the onions and coriander. If I had to guess I´d say he had made a tortilla or two in his time.

No comments: