Tuesday 27 October 2015

Real, no fooling, tortillas (by G)

¡¿Can you believe it, I´m in the home of the tortilla on tortilla Tuesday?!

I got into Mexico City in the mid-afternoon but by the time I´d taken a taxi through the chaotic traffic and checked in to my hotel it was after dark. With no idea of how to find food I decided to just walk around and around until I found some. Eventually I found a pedestrian mall with a bunch of international chain restaurants KFC, McDonalds etc... fortunately there was also a taco restaurant (not exactly the street cart I was hoping for but it did the trick.

To start off with I got a grande el pastor and a beer and some ´tortillas de harina´. I knew I knew what harina was but I had temporarily forgotten.  The pastor was excellent, the tortillas de harina turned out to be plain flour tortillas, no topping. No problem, there were chopped onions, pickled vegetables and about half a dozen salsas to flavour them up.

After finishing those off I got a couple of small tortillas, one with sausage and one with ´suadero´ which turned out to be a cut of meet from the cow somewhere near the belly - both were excellent, though I didn´t know what either of them was when they came and had to translate the menaing of the toppings later. I was pretty convinced the sausage tortilla was lung - which, I guess is not far wrong. I am pretty excited to be be in Mexico, next meal on my list is a torta - keep an eye out. I´ll try not to be so slack with updating the blog from now on.

No comments: