Wednesday 28 October 2015

Torta (by G)


Tortas have been on my list of ‘Mexican street foods I have to eat’.  I ventured out onto the streets of Mexico city at dinner time and, with very little difficulty, found a cart selling tortas.  There were a lot of combinations on offer, none of them exactly what I was after so I picked one at random. The main protein was a crumbed and fried mystery meat, ‘pierna’ I think it was. It probably checks out because ‘pierna’ is Spanish for leg. I’m not sure even what animal it was but at a guess I would say the leg of a pig. Along with the leg meat there was tomato, avocado, an odd pink coloured processed meat and some extra gooey cheese. The cheese was the best thing. I will be eating many more tortas in the future.

Note: after finishing the torta I went to a bar and, along with a few beers, I had a couple of tacos al pastor.  While I am in Mexico please assume that after dinner I have gone to a bar to drink a few beers and eat a couple of tacos al pastor.
 
 

No comments: