Saturday 14 September 2013

Borscht (by G)

I was looking through Len Deighton's Action Cook Book yesterday because I realised that, although it is about the coolest cookbook I own, I've never cooked anything from it:


It's pretty warm in the old town at the moment so I though a of cold borscht would hit the spot.  It's pretty easy to make - boil some beetroot until soft then peel and simmer for 10 minutes with chicken stock and softened onions then blend, strain and add a squeeze of lemon juice.

Maybe it was a bit too simple because it turned out to be like a bland beetroot dip (I did a bit of a course strain job so it turned out almost as thick as dip). The addition of boiled eggs, natural yoghurt and caviar (well, lumpfish roe) pepped up the flavour a bit.

In retrospect, maybe it wasn't as good as I'd expected because I didn't have my gun with me and I didn't have a sexy (sic) lady to stroke my (non-existent) hair.




No comments: