Friday 6 September 2013

DIY Cambodian Barbecue (By G)

Scroll back a week or two and you'll find I had Khmer Barbecue while I was in Siem Reap - the untold story is that the next day I went on a trek to find a barbecue dome to take home with me. I eventually found one in a scungy market in the industrial area of town.  The market was truly awful. It was undercover and really dark, the floor was greasy and slimy, buckets of festering goop stank up the place... never-the-less I found my barbecue dome ($4).

I retrofitted our briquette barbecue with a couple of metal skewers and we fried off strips of chicken breast, chunks of pork and wafer thin strips of beef.  In the trough at the bottom we boiled some chicken stock and added egg vermicelli, green beans, turnip slices, packet coleslaw and enoki mushrooms.  For flavouring I made up a couple of sauces. The first was a mix of black and white pepper, lime juice and oil with cider vinegar added for volume. The other sauce was a mix of soy sauce, minced garlic, minced ginger, coriander, fresh red chilli and some mirin.

There was an anxious moment early on when I accidentally tilted the barbecue and poured chicken stock all over the coals - happily they were so hot that they were not affected.

I don't know that the flavours were 100% authentic but the result was satisfying... very satisfying...

Before:
After:

1 comment:

Biggs said...

This blew my mind. I commented after dinner that this meal changed my life. That's a big statement but a true statement. I have no idea what that dome thing did to the meat, noodles, broth and veges but Cambodian BBQ goodness is devastatingly good.