Saturday 21 September 2013

Feijoada... sort of (by G)

I was looking though some cookbooks looking for something to have for dinner and came across a feijoada recipe in Jennifer Paterson's 'Seasonal Receipts'. I don't know what it is about feijoada that made her associate it with Spring.

Being the national dish of Brazil, I was keen to try it while I was there but never got the chance - it is only served on certain days and I always seemed to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I still want to try feijoada because I don't think what I produced was very authentic.  Basically I simmered a bunch of pork products (ribs, belly, sausages, chorizo, bacon bones) along with some beef jerky (the recipe called for salted pork but jerky is the best I could do).  In another pot I boiled some onion, garlic and black beans (I could only find the salted kind so I rinsed the salt off them prior to cooking).  When the beans and pork were ready I combined them on a plate and topped with a fried egg.

It photographed the same way it tasted - not great. I didn't mind it too much but Biggs found the tastes and textures to be pretty unpleasant.

1 comment:

Biggs said...

To clarify, the ribs and belly were great. The chorizo was tasty. The bacon bones were intimidating and the broiled sausages were a very odd texture. The beef jerky was better not broiled but inoffensive compared to the sausages. The black beans were very very offensive. Thank god for the egg. I think I was expecting a French-style cassoulet or at the very least a 'wonderful Brazilian cassoulet' as the recipe book advertised.