Sunday 22 September 2013

Monti (by G)

I was doodling about aimlessly on the internet this morning when I came across a reference to the Armenian dish Monti - I'd never heard of it before but after looking into it decided we should have it for dinner.

It is basically pastry canoes filled with seasoned meat floating in a soup and topped with yoghurt garlic.

The pastry came out really well, easy to roll. The filling is supposed to be lamb mince with onion, garlic and parsley but I could only find beef mince - a bit disappointing because I think lamb mince would have been much better.  The soup should have been chicken stock with catsup and tabasco. We didn't have catsup and were not entirely sure what it is so I substituted with ketchup and Worcestershire sauce (having since researched catsup I think that is a pretty close approximation - catsup looks like more fun though):


Sorry, got a bit distracted... Monti is good - we should check out some more Armenian dishes.


1 comment:

Biggs said...

Turns out, although I wasn't too thrilled about last night's simmered meats in a seasoned broth I very very very much liked tonight's floating meats in a seasoned broth. I could have eaten a thousand of them.

In other news I've learnt that Armeniapedia is a thing.