Tuesday 17 September 2013

Corn Tortillas with Pork (by G)

Biggs bought Ferran Adria's 'The Family Meal' some time ago - last night I realised that we had never cooked anything from it so I looked up to see if he had a tortilla recipe... he did, and here it is.

For two people the recipe called for 350 grams of pork shoulder, but I couldn't find anything under 2kg and was unwilling to cut it down, so I cooked the whole thing. Differences from the regular tortilla recipe is the inclusion of achote - a South American fruit - paste in the pork marinade. I found this ingredient at Penissi in Woollongabba. The lady at Penissi said a kilo was a life time supply, I've already used a third of it so I'm not sure what that says about my life expectancy.

The other difference was that, instead of flour tortillas, I made corn tortillas. The masa dough is amazing, soft and easy to press - unfortunately the tortillas get a bit stodgy after a while so we didn't get through all of them.

Two additions to Ferran's meal was a coriander sauce with vinegar, lime juice, oil and coriander - made because we had left over coriander. I found a little strip of pork belly in the freezer, so I decided to slice this thinly and fry them off as a crunchy accompaniment.

1 comment:

Biggs said...

G tried to trick me into liking corn tortillas but he's right, they turned quite cakey after a bit.

The coriander sauce was brilliant. There's nothing I don't like about a bowl of onions and chili or a bowl of crispy pork belly.

The meat filling was....fine. G does a better job free-styling.