Thursday 12 September 2013

Cajun Chicken and Succotash (by Biggs)

I hadn't planned to cook for at least a few months now that my resident chef is back in town. Alas, G had other ideas. I'm back to cooking on a Thursday night but we've relaxed a bit on the vegetarian clause.

I've wanted to cook brussel sprouts for a few months now. I was intrigued if they're really bad as I remember from my childhood. I looked up a bunch of brussel sprout salad recipes, asked friends what they do with brussel sprouts, researched how to caramalise a brussel sprout and finally decided on a brussel sprout succotash. SUCCOTASH!

Turns out when I picked up groceries on the way home I completely forgot to actually buy brussel sprouts (thank you sub-conscious). I baked up my trusty Cajun chicken and started to throw together the rest of the succotash ingredients in a fry pan - garlic, shallots, bacon, corn, salt, pepper and sage (was meant to be thyme). I hunted through the fridge for greens and found capsicum, beans and parsley to add.

I was meant to add white beans and tomatoes towards the end but the succotash looked so tasty I thought I'd call it quits while I was ahead.

 

1 comment:

G said...

I've read the blog while I was away and was a bit worried that Biggs was cooking tonight - happily tonight's dinner was very delicious - nice spicy chicken and bacony vegetable succotash... and the brussel sprouts were as good as I've ever had.