Sunday 5 October 2014

Buffalo Wings, Blue Cheese Dressing and Bacon Jam (by Biggs)

A while back Bonnie gave me a stubbie cooler from Anchor Bar "home of the original buffalo wing" and I swore I wouldn't use it until the next night of buffalo wings. I thought it was a pretty safe bet that G would one day make buffalo wings....he is after all the wing aficionado. Alas, the wings never came.

Today, I decide just to do it myself. I initially decided to use the Anchor Bar recipe I found on the internet but the trolls were violently explicit in their claims it was not the correct recipe. To avoid being stabbed in my sleep by the vicious internet trolls I went with a more generic recipe. It's a pretty nifty technique - you dust the wings in flour seasoned with cayenne pepper, garlic powder and salt and sit them in the fridge for a few hours. Then you drench them in a sauce of equal parts butter and hot sauce before baking them in a hot oven. Admittedly the wings were a bit hot for me but since I had no one to blame but myself I struggled on.

Traditionally buffalo wings are served with carrot, celery and blue cheese dressing and I just happened to have the approximate ingredients required. The dressing was a mix of blue cheese, sour cream, mayonnaise, garlic and lemon.

You might notice an extra little bowl of wonderment in the photo. Guess what it is? Guess what it is? BACON JAM! The other day I wondered if bacon jam is a thing.....and it sure is. I didn't originally plan to serve it with dinner but after the four hours involved in making it I wanted some instant gratification. I wasn't going to give the 'secret recipe' away but I guess all of you can search for Bacon Jam on the internet as well as I can so, the jam is just bacon, onion, garlic, coffee, maple syrup, apple cider vinegar and brown sugar cooked down for 4 hours and blended. I might need a second opinion but I thought it was excellent.

I'm not sure what to do with the remainder of the bacon jam but am very open to suggestions.

No comments: