Saturday 11 October 2014

Ribs (by G)

During a post-dinner walk the night before I discovered a street behind my hotel in Busan where there is a row of sort-of semi-permanent tents serving food. I decided that that was where I was going to eat today - kind of like glamping in the city.
 
I was just surveying the food tent options when one of the owners saw me and waved me in like an air traffic controller - I just went with it.
 
It turned out to be a meat place - you just pick out the type of meat you want from behind the counter and the nice lady will cook it up for you. I went with pork ribs. They had already been blanched to the point where the meat was falling off the bone. To finish she quickly tossed the ribs in a wok with some carrot pieces and a spicy, sticky sauce.
 
I wasn't expecting her to serve up the whole bag of ribs - about enough for 3 to 4 people, but I've never backed down from a rib eating challenge. The guy I was sitting next to at the counter was enthusiastic about my order so I was expecting something good... and they were good. Served on a foil wrapped tray they continued to cook on a portable gas stove. It is a shame I didn't get a photo of the ribs a little later because they got a shiny brown glaze. I didn't have time to photograph though because the lady kept piling ribs into my bowl to eat. Cucumber, onion and green chilli on the side helped to freshen up the meal.
 
Part way through the meal a really drunk local staggered in and seemed very upset that I had eaten the last of the ribs - he expressed his displeasure by shouting at me and everyone else in the place.
 
I was kind of in the mood for a couple of beers but the lady insisted on soju so I had that instead - I picked the one with the hot lady on the bottle.
 
I'm just relieved that I managed to finish this whole meal for once - the quantities of food in South Korea as so vast that it's tough on the stomach.
 

 
 
Soju Girl Say: "Good job finishing all those ribs foreigner. If you weren't so bloated and sticky I would totally sleep with you".


No comments: