Monday 27 October 2014

Pig-herd's Pie (by G)

Biggs had dinner plans tonight so I decided to experiment. My idea was to make an inverted Shepherd's pie with pork instead of lamb. First thing I made a ham stock by boiling ham in water, this was a base for the gravy.  For the filling I fried some onion and pork mince and added some chopped ham. Once that was cooked I stirred through some flour then added the ham stock. Once the sauce had thickened I filled some pre-made mashed potato bowls.

The potato bowls were made by mashing some potato, slopping it on an oven tray, trying tying to form it into a bowl shape with a spoon then blind baking it in the oven.  The blind baking did not do much for the consistency of the mashed potato.

Though laziness I bought a packet of frozen mixed vegetables, boiled them in some salted water and served them around the outside (round the outside) of the pie.

As an experiment this turned out okay, it was quite salty but you have to expect that when you dabble in cured pork.

Incidentally Biggs' dinner plans were scrapped so she was able to try my experimental pie, that was lucky. Whether it was good lucky or bad lucky I'm not too sure.

1 comment:

Biggs said...

Okay, that photo looks weird, dinner was not weird....it was tasty. Made even tastier by me bailing on my work dinner plans and tapping in last minute.

G went to a whole lot of trouble for what appeared to be a dinner of bacon and potatoes.