Friday 24 October 2014

Macaroni and Cheese in a Cob Loaf (by G)

Cooking for one again - I had some other plans but by the time I had finished work I had a craving for macaroni and cheese.

Mac and Cheese has been featured a couple of times in the past on the blog so I had to put a twist on it - I put it in a bread loaf, genius!

There were a few other differences between this M 'n' C and my usual recipe. I slowly pan cooked some onion, bacon, mushrooms (that's different) and some garlic, then added paprika (never done that before).  For the cheese sauce I mixed flour and butter to make a roux, added milk to make white sauce, then added a mix of camembert and red Leicester cheese (that's a bit different). The pasta was not macaroni, I'm not sure what it is called but it had a 'S' cross-section - awesome.

After I had finished making the  macaroni and cheese I filled a sourdough cob loaf that I had previously hollowed out and oven baked it for a few minutes (I didn't want to cook it for too long or the bread could get hard).

All-in-all it was an excellent dinner - the volume was a bit of an issue though. It took me a good while to get through the whole thing.

If you are wondering about the lettuce, Biggs had it left over from last night's dinner and I had agreed to use it up, so I did.

1 comment:

Biggs said...

Man, this looks delicious.