Friday 17 October 2014

Crispy Salmon (by Biggs)

G loves mackerel so I decided to do a Mr O version for his first real dinner back in the country.

In the late afternoon I did a bit of a ring around various fish mongers to check if they had mackerel and alas, they did not. Everyone kept offering me Queen Fish but I freaked out and just got a couple of salmon fillets instead.

 The fish was hard fried for a few minutes on each side with salt, pepper and lemon rind and the rice was cooked....in a pot....of water.

The sauce was a delicious mix of garlic, ginger, spring onion, chili, lime zest and juice, coriander, sesame oil, soy sauce and maple syrup. The recipe suggested honey but I still have maple syrup in the pantry from making bacon jam so am trying to use some up at every opportunity. I think I'm starting to like it a little more than honey but perhaps that's just the strong influence of "The Wild Chef".

I promised G that dinner would be excellent....I don't think I was too far off. It was a little oily but I think that's just because I wanted to use up all the dressing. I was pretty happy the recipe called for 4 tablespoons of sesame oil. Usually people say more than a few drops will overpower a dish but I fucking love the flavour. The more the better I say.

Dinner was also topped with then more coriander, spring onions and chili. Fress and delissiouss.

1 comment:

G said...

Biggs is correct - this dinner was very close to excellent. The fish was crispy on the outside and perfectly cooked on the inside. I didn't even realise the fish was skinless until Biggs mentioned it later.