Sunday 26 October 2014

Pork with Cheese and Potato Nests and Veg (by G)

Basically this dinner is just a hunk of roasted pork with some boiled carrot and asparagus as sides to the cheese and potato nests. Biggs and I saw Rachel Khoo cook the potato nests on the TV the other day and they looked to be right down our alley. Potato matchsticks, bacon, onion, a dash of wine and some cheese baked in a muffin tin.

I don't know exactly what went wrong with my nests, possibly the variety of potato - maybe I didn't bake them high enough - they turned out more like cheese and potato piles. No matter, they were pretty tasty. They would have been even better if I had just bought normal bacon instead of 'English Style' bacon which was a bit flavourless. I also didn't bother to try and find the Rubuchon cheese recommended in the recipe, life is too short to track something like that down on a Sunday - I used a washed rind Camembert instead.

To add a little moisture to the meal I made a bit of a gravy by steeping some porcini and bacon in water then thickening if with a bit of flour and water - tasty.

One drawback with dinner was that the pork crackle did not crackle no matter what I did to it...



1 comment:

Biggs said...

This was a nice surprising Sunday meal. G seemed to be ferreting away in the kitchen for a while and this was well worth the effort.