Friday 11 July 2014

Soup and Pizza (by Biggs)

Tonight I was at my friend Snipes' 40th birthday gig. I had fun....a lot of fun.* I also had soup. And pizza. Snipes' wife Liz had boldly taken it upon herself to feed everyone and catered the affair herself.....pretty impressive.

She had the genius idea, given we were all loitering in the cold drinking cold beer, to serve a huge pot of minestrone soup. It was teamed with garlic bread and was delicious. It was an absolute hit.....everyone was keen for another pot to be brewed. If you're having a party any time soon I seriously suggested you make soup. The people respond well.

 
I feel pretty bad because I promised Liz in advanced that I would help her with the cooking but the second someone put a beer in my hand I completely forgot my offer of assistance. Fortunately she had some friends much more helpful (and competent) than me. There was a real production line going in the kitchen to get these pizzas out. Brilliant work all around. I certainly stepped up to the plate to help eat them though. In the aftermath, I'm a little fuzzy on what was on them. I remember pepperoni, and some bacon and mushrooms. I saw a pumpkin in the kitchen but am unsure if it made it to a pizza.
 
Liz also made a salad which I neglected to try. This was put together with the assistance of a pretty impressive mandolin. When I saw Liz prepping the salad I noticed she wasn't using the mandolin guard which had me nervous but fortunately most of the party guests were nurses so I guess we were safe if it all went wrong....which it didn't. After the party I was lucky enough to be gifted a mandolin so stay tuned for devastating blade injuries in my near future.
 
 
*Fun in this context actually means alcohol. I had alcohol....a lot of alcohol.

No comments: