Monday 7 July 2014

Savoury Strudel (by G)

I like strudel - at least I probably would do if I liked sweet things, or - perhaps - if the strudel was savoury.

Biggs and I swapped cooking nights so tonight was my opportunity to try a savoury strudel.  There was a recipe but I forgot to look at it and ended up free-styling. I gather filo pasty is brushed with butter and layered. That process was a bit more difficult than I'd anticipated - once done, however, I put a mix of soft leek, onion and mushroom (with some seasoning, magic chicken style stock and corn flour to soak up the liquid)... and cheese on the filo and rolled it up. Then I brushed the top and tucked it in the oven.

I don't know what goes with savoury strudel so I made a quick potato salad to use up some things I had potatoes, olives - the coriander was pre-left over from tomorrow's dinner. I also added some Dijon mustard and mayonnaise.

Tonight's dinner took about 5 hours fewer hours (and involved only a fraction of the washing up) as last night's dinner and was significantly more tasty and satisfying.

1 comment:

Biggs said...

I was thinking the same time, this strudel with last night's vegetables would have been spectacular. That's not to knock the potato salad, it too was most excellent. The olives in it were a nice touch. I've been toying with the idea of leeks for a while and this has given me the confidence to go forth and concur...one day.